A Web of Desire is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II, Act II.
Underneath the Tavern, a woman named Dorotya offers you a gift in return for a kiss. But everything is not what it seems...
- Speak to Dorotya and convince her you are worthy to receive her gift.
- Have the character who spoke with her meet her in private for a kiss.
- Allow her to kiss you OR kill her*.
- Repeat this quest for every other party member (so long as she isn't killed) (optional).
Before initiating this quest, read through the entire walkthrough first as it comes with a potential cost as well.
After speaking to Dorotya, The Decadent One, she will ask you to prove your worthiness. Simply pick one of the options that prove your worthiness, such as being the Champion of the Arena in Fort Joy. It's hard to fail this dialogue unless you explicitly decline her advances. Afterwards, she will ask you to choose a vision.
Each vision will grant you a different "reward." See the chart further below for the effects of each choice.
She will ask to meet your character alone at an area marked on your map as "Dorotya's Kissing Corner". Split the character that spoke with her from your party and have them meet with Dorotya alone. Your other members must be out of Dorotya's sight in order for the dialogue to progress. Rest assured, the encounter is perfectly safe unless you explicitly choose to fight her.
Once you meet her, she will suddenly transform into a giant spider looking to "kiss" you. You must decide whether to let her or to draw your weapon and fight.
If you choose to let her kiss you, your character will receive a permanent talent called "Spider's Kiss", with an effect that's based on your choice of vision. Accepting the kiss will also bestow the character 6,000 EXP.
(Note: If you are using an undead character (e.g. Fane), she will ask you to use the Mask of the Shapeshifter to transform yourself into another form before she will kiss you.)
|Towering Oak||Strength +2||Constitution -2|
|Curved Quill||Intelligence +2|
|Golden Chest||2,000 Gold|
|Stately Dragon||Wits +2|
|Transparent Chrysalis||Glowing Idol of Rebirth|
The Spider's Kiss talent is permanent and cannot be removed via the Magic Mirror, and its effect will vary based on the vision choice you chose. Choose wisely, or simply go with the Chrysalis for the Idol of Rebirth (see the details for the idol below for why it is arguably the best choice).
After the kiss, you can still choose to explicitly attack her, or simply let her go. Either way, she will return to what she was doing before and the quest will be completed for that specific character. Your other party members may do the quest for themselves as well. The EXP earned for completion is only awarded for that specific character, so you will need to repeat the quest several times to earn it for all characters.
If you instead choose to fight and successfully kill her, your party members will all receive 4,000 EXP each, and looting her corpse will yield an "Ashen Idol of Rebirth", two unique daggers, and a key. Although you are meeting her with a single character, your other party members can join into the fight as well after it is initiated. Do note, this is not the intended direction for the quest to complete, but it is made available to you. It offers less of a reward than accepting the kiss.
- If you hire a mercenary on the Lady Vengeance, they can help you fulfill this quest instead without any cost since they're designed to completely reset when they're disbanded. You can repeatedly hire them to earn the rewards several times.
- Aside from the Idol of Rebirth, the Strength or Intelligence reward may be a reasonable choice if Vitality isn't as crucial to your character. If you're uncertain, you don't need to complete the quest at this time. If you've already initiated the quest, simply avoid meeting her and she'll reset the quest after a bit of waiting.
- After you've completed the quest up to four times, you can also kill her to gain bonus experience and loot.
- The key found on her corpse unlocks a chest inside her room.
- You can pickpocket an Ashen Idol of Rebirth from her at any time outside of the quest.
Idol of Rebirth
The Idol of Rebirth is an item that automatically resurrects the possessor upon death and also grants them full Vitality (but no Armour). It doesn't cost any AP to use.
Although it is a one-time use item, it is easily refillable by crafting the emptied idol together with a Resurrect Scroll. This can be a potentially exploitable tactic to turn your character(s) immortal as long as you have many Resurrect Scrolls in your inventory. It only costs 1 AP to craft during battle, which is significantly better than the 3 AP cost to use a Resurrect Scroll.
Resurrect Scrolls can be crafted using the following recipe: Sheet of Paper + Water Essence + Life Essence. The paper is inexpensive and easy to acquire, and you should have a fair number of Water and Life Essences by now, as long as you haven't been wasting them. These materials can also be bought from merchants from time to time.
If you complete the quest four times, you can have one for each party member. If you hire mercenaries, they can help you earn those idols without any cost.