Sweet Shackles of Pain
|Previous Quest||The Forgotten and the Damned|
Bound by Pain / Sweet Shackles of Pain is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II.
- Possessed Dwarf
- Spirit of Brother Kalvin
- Force out the demon inside the Dwarf
- Defeat the demon
To acquire this quest, you need to get in one of the statue-sealed vaults on Bloodmoon Island. (To open the statue, you need to let one character with Scholar tag to decipher Ornate Hymnal, it turns to The Taming of Holy Fire. This book can be found at multiple locations, including the archive on the northeast of the island, and a Black Ring member near the ancestor tree.)
Go to the Ancient Forge on the north of the island, forge a silver lever shaft with silver bar.
Use the bar on the slot inside the vault, then cast Spirit Vision, ask the guardian to open the door. (If you can't pass the speech persuasion check, use Source Vampirism on him, learnt in quest Powerful Awakening).
Behind the door, the possessed dwarf begs you destroy the pillars, offering you "anything" if you set him free. If this is done he will immediately attack. Instead you should attack the chained dwarf until he stays knocked down (about 10% of his health, he will yell about this bloody prison), then free him by destroying the pillar which will initiate combat. The demon will come out of the dwarf ("Mor the Trenchmouthed") and the now free dwarf will assist you in combat.
Once the demon is freed (could be done during the combat), you will need to defeat him. When hit by any ally, it will immediately possess any teammate less than 14 meters away. It cannot possess summoned allies or the dwarf. You will have to reduce a possessed party member's health to near zero to get the demon out of them. Living on the Edge skill and idols of rebirth are very nice here, or you can try the cheese method detailed below.
You will gain 43,325 EXP (14,450 in Story mode) (tested level 16). Check the demon's body for some decent loot. If you complete the fight with the dwarf alive, he will direct you to find his treasure at X:193 Y:379. This is the southwest corner of the Island, on the bit of shore with 3 graves next to the dock. The bag contains gold (as little as 2...).
Note: If the dwarf scores the last hit on the demon, he will bug out and repeatedly tell you that he owes the person who freed him "everyfink", if this happens it's not a big deal, the quest will still close and you are only missing out on him telling you of his treasure at X:193 Y:379, you can go here and get it anyway (enjoy your 5 gold).
- The shortest solution is to simply hit the chained dwarf until both he and the daemon possessing him are dead.
Using Source Vampirism on its corpse will afflict the user with possession restarting the fight.
If you want to save the dwarf, you must release him and expel and kill the daemon.. You may need to heal that dwarf multiple time during the process. If you killed the dwarf, the quest is also complete. This quest seems to be bugged for some players.
In order not to accidentally kill the dwarf, consider using Living on the Edge.
- In regards to fighting the Demon it will go into the player that last attacked it. (Note: I don't believe this to be true. The demon's possession target seems to be random. I attacked him with Sebille and he possessed Ifan.)
- Suggesting using piercing damage in this fight, as the demon will not automatically regenerate health. (The Demon's armor & magic armor will be restored once outside of its host).
- Cheese Method:
- Destroy three pillars
- Attack dwarf while still chained until he is permanently knocked down and complains about "this body". (If you kill him at this point you get 14k XP and quest is done)
- Heal the dwarf to full and restore his armor. The dwarf will do the fighting, so make him strong.
- Move your party outside the room. Behind the statue is good, just in case. Split on character out of the party, preferably someone with some range.
- Have the lone char destroy the fourth pillar. Ranged is good, grenades and the like might also work. There is a short time to move away between the pillar being destroyed and combat start, the important thing here is for your char to be out of demon's sight. If you move too far out, combat might not start until that character moves close enough to the room. Should still be safe.
- Once in combat, move the character that is involved behind the statue and let the dwarf do the killing. He is smart enough to stay out of demon's line of sight so it can't get out of the pit. You can speed up the fight with summons or totems, but that might actually do more harm if the demon is able to nether swap itself out using one of them. In my case the dwarf got himself outside the pit, then just kept doing hit-and-runs until the demon was dead. The demon didn't even get a second turn, it was frozen most rounds. A fully healed dwarf should have no problem killing the demon.
- Talk to the dwarf with the char that destroyed the last pillar. Doesn't matter that the dwarf killed the demon, it matters who destroyed the pillars.
- About 35k+ XP from saving the dwarf, plus 7k+ from killing the demon, for a total of about 43k XP.