Braccus Rex's Tower is a sub-area of Fort Joy in Divinity Original Sin: 2. Please see Walkthrough and/or Locations for other areas.
This is the tower at the end of The Gargoyle's Maze.
- Location: Fort Joy
- Recommended Level: 6+
Braccus Rex's Tower
Notes & Tips
- At the well (X639 Y541) you can break a barrel of water for ghosts in well or use Rain. Later you can pay for their fare, in return for some equipment. Note: The reward you get from the well is linked to your current level so it is advised to revisit it once you are ready to leave the island. Level 9 is the max level possible, if you finish all the quest and kill off the seekers (except Gareth of course).
You can use each person in your party to pay 150 gold to get 1 epic ring or belt (legendary quality at level 9 or above). However, If you have Fane's Shapeshifter Mask, you can use it with each character and interact with the well each time to get another piece of gear, for 5 times total per character.
- The Key to main door is on one of the necromancers.
- If you freed Withermoore in Withermoore's Soul Jar, he will help you lift the source barrier. To activate Withermoore, interact with the relic to the left of the source barrier with a character that has an empty Source point. Otherwise, another option to use Source Magic on the relic will become available instead.
- There is an inoperable wall switch in the north west room, just to the left of the source barrier, whose function is currently unknown.
- It doesn't appear you can save Rattus Perfidus
- There is a sewer grate you can interact with in the room where the fireballs are firing if you step on the pressure plate, just to the left after you enter the big door into the tower itself. Inside you will find a map to The Vault of Braccus Rex. There is a chest and some paintings as well and a lever that opens all the doors in the tower so you don't need to lock pick them.
- You can find one piece of the Artefacts of the Tyrant set (Hands of the Tyrant) near X595 Y674 in the rightmost crypt. Opening this will trigger a poison trap.
- You can find one piece of the Devourer Armour set (The Devourer's Claws) near X628 Y630 in a steel-banded chest. You need to use Bless to open it.
[video goes here]
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
Braccus in the first game DOS is a ridiculously strong boss maybe the hardest in the game with a somewhat underwhelming two handed axe that you just give Madora for a while.
Braccus in this game is the gift that keeps on giving, OP items from the well, very strong suit of armor with source abilities better than what you get from story progression. He's one evil bastard but he gets you good loot
You can just eek out level 9 WITHOUT being a psycopath and WITHOUT killing Slane, but it DOES require cheese early on:
The Cheese: Use the Deathfog cheese with Dallis/Alexander in the beginning, and make sure the Geists ALSO die (very important), either with perfect positioning of the barrel or teleporting them in to it if you have the spell or gloves (if you need to get in Fort Joy be sure to use the ladder to the side) The Geists give a LOT of exp for Act 1 standards.
Then proceed as normal, taking care to take the options in your quests that give the best overall exp award (except for Slane if you do not want to kill him; I didn't). LEAVE THE WELL ALONE RIGHT NOW.
Then, once you've completed all the story up to Malady appearing, tell her to wait.
Go kill Zaleskar (at this point you're definitely able to kill anyone in Act 1). Make sure you used his vendor services and got Ifan's xbow even if you don't intend to keep Ifan (THIS IS ALSO WHY YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE AGGRO'D FORT JOT GUARDS YET BECAUSE IFAN HAD TO TALK TO BORIS).
Then, go and kill every Magister and every source hound (you didn't need to kill Birdie, you can let him go; I did). Make sure you did Buddy's thing for the exp that gives before you kill his mate.
Kill every Silent Monk standing around the dungeon.
Pick a fight with Griff, you can choose whether to flirt with Butter to have her on your side or not; I did, and I didn't need her exp. Kill him and his cronies.
Also, kill the guy who murdered his Lizard friend who was talking about the wife. A murderer is a murderer right? Heh.
At this point, you should be just a sliver away from 9. So now you just need a few easy kills. Find the card players on the Fort's wall near the gate. Kill them. You should just barely hit 9.
In this manner, no real innocents were killed; only morally grey at worst (Griff's gang who the card players are tied with; Buddy's mate who is doomed to be a Source Hound anyway). Slane gets to live. Random inmates in the Fort who are not thugs get to live. You don't backstab any seekers.
Some random things not to miss before fighting Alexander and playing cleanup:
Heal spells on the wounded seekers in Amadia hideout; this gives exp when all 3 are healed
Kill Magister Ames
In doing this I JUST, JUST hit 9 so be THOROUGH. The margin was so slim that missing any one of these won't get you 9.
YOU NEED TO SAY AT THE BEGINNING THAT YOU NEED SOURCE AND TO BE FREED OF THE COLLARS. THIS GUIDE IS ATTROCIOUS. i GET ALL THE WAY TO THE ****ING CRATE AND DONT HAVE BLESS YET. WERE ON FORT JOY FFS THE LEAST YOU COULD DO IS WAR US.
To maximize the well for 30 total LEGENDARY items:
1) Complete quests around Fort Joy and Hollow Marshes, gaining XP to reach level 9, which will allow you to get the best loot (legendary, level 9).
2) Have all four members of your party pay $150 per well visit as themselves, and then have them each visit the well under four various forms of the Mask of the Shapeshifter (4 members x 5 well visits = 20 visits).
3) Go recruit the two members you don't currently have in your party and have them both visit the well (2 remaining characters x 5 well visits = 10 items).
4) Pimp out your party with new gear or sell for some extra coin.
5) I recommend taking the loot off the two characters you're not going to continue with for the rest of the game before you dismiss them. Nonspoiler word of caution: If for some reason you don't retrieve your loot from the two before you get on the Lady Vengance, you will be able to recruit them there and retrieve the items, but do so BEFORE you set sail.
hello im pretty new in this game just got it 3 days ago, in my case i broke 3 soul jars(from the cavern), and only appears 1 skeleton, i killed her like 5 times in a row, but she stills respawn every time, any idea of what's happening? ty in advance
Tip for teammates that are still level 8 but your main is level 9 when you're done with Fort Joy: have them leave the party and then invite them again so that they'll level up (party members can be found in Amadia's Sanctuary at this point in the game). This way you can take advantage of the legendary items that the well gives at level 9.
To open the right hand side sarcophagus to get The Hand of the Tyrant you need min 18 Strength, useful spell here is the Peace of Mind if you just few points under 18 strength with one of the character
Additional notes on the well scenario:
1. Note going in that you will only get a choice of a belt or a ring - for whatever reason they didn't even include necklace slot gear into the mix of possible outcomes. This basically means that, unless you're not save scumming through the process, the usefulness is going to dwindle more and more, other than potential gold accrual when you eventually sell what you can't use.
2. As it relates to the above, and in case it helps anyone save time - you only get ring choices when you're in Human and Dwarven forms, whereas you only get belt choices in Lizard and Elf forms.
3. Finally, just to underscore - you do get 5 chances on every character, not just Fane. There's a default version of every race that differs from whatever race the character you're using in that moment is, so essentially you get 2 rewards for the same race (i.e., Red Prince as himself once and Red Prince in the default 'lizard mask' form a 2nd time, etc)
Make sure you cash in the reward from the well after you have done everything you want to do and are ready to leave the island, since those items are tied to your current level. In my latest run I managed to get to level 9 after clearing everything, that extra level also helps with the Dallis fight if you don't want to cheese it. It is also advised to use the shapeshifter mask with every character to get additional 4 rewards per character, just make sure you have enough gold (150 g per item). This might be a bit annoying to do if you are on a solo lone wolf run but in my experience it's worth it regardless.
how to get past the blue forcefield? it doesnt go away.... I also paid the toll at the well and idk what to do lol
If you want you can avoid fighting the necromancers and simply pick the lock on the gate.
You can water the well at any time, but the reward is best received right before leaving the island because the reward will match your current level (i.e. Fane Mask + 6 lv 9 companions = 30 lv 9 epic gear vs doing it right away for lv 6 gear)
Getting 5 different epic drops using Fanes Mask of the Shapeshifter still works!
I think the well bug has been fixed :(
I took a unused companion and give it max wit (18 I think) and made him interact with the statue, it looks like the statue gives the champion of the gods to the character, including the bless ability,
You can also equip a water wand and force fire at the well.
D:OS 2 DE 18.104.22.1680 Well Loot 6 Chars + 5 Loots each + 150g each = 30 Epic (Purple) Items / -4500 Gold (Selling Price combinded 3718 Gold with 0 Attitude and 0 Batering) 15 Rings / 15 Belts (Every Piece is Level 8 as i'am) Rings: 2x Bride's Bane 2x Divine Right 2x Knight's Promise 2x The Mist Descends 2x Forged in Fire 1x Longclaw 1x Dragonclaw 1x Dragonstwine 1x Sweet Mercy 1x Harridan's Clasp Belts: 2x Strong String 2x Tug of War 2x Waisted Wicker 2x Careful Cord 2x Golden Rope 2x Steady Strap 1x True Twine 1x Double Knote 1x The Thread -Jow
Hail Strike works too if you don't have a Hydrosophist mage
The skeletons suspended up high can be destroyed with fire and they will drop stuff like any other container IF there was something spawned in their to begin with. I got Wheat & 8 Gold, Nothing, Nothing, and Nothing, and one of the two hanging over the edge I couldn't target no matter where I stood.
You can save Rattus Perfidius by making blood rain on him, then teleporting him to the pool of poison and once he's at full health cast blessing on him. I just tested it and he's giving me info about Braccus That you can't get anywhere else.
The room next to the tower is the cavern where you can find Radeka the Witch, whom you need for the quest you receive from Slane the Winter dragon. You can enter this cave from the Dragon's Beach.
When you open the world map and zoom far out, you can see another room which seems to be filled with lava, does anyone know how to even get there? i figured it was with those portals by the gargoyle heads but that is an entierly different plane.
Well is still bugged!
Skeletons cant be reached via chests and teleport, anyone an idea?
Dont want to edit it myself, but Rattus Perfidus can be saved by jolting him with some air magic.
When I got to this part, the necromancers were already dead...no conversation. Anyone have this happen?
Also, there's another section to the east seperate from the rest of the map. How do I get to that?
I'm blind never mind
Does anyone know what that lever in the map room does
There are 18 lvl skeletons (3043 hp) in cages in air (chamber with ghost's well)
They look like you can loot them, but if try, game refuses (can't reach them)
Can be damaged with fire only, no teleportation allowed
Killed one with fire, nothing happened, nothing dropped :'(
Have no idea what to do, but I'm still curious
Any idea what the zombie in a cage do? I am getting villain tag for killing it.
Not sure how to edit, but you'll always find the "Hands of the Tyrant" armor piece in the right tomb (female) inside the mausoleum. Also if you ended up betraying Whitermoore, you can still pass the force field by choosing the dialogue option "Channel source energy" when interacting with the relic.
How to loot skeletons in the cages?
FYI about the well: Water wands work fine, not just rain. *EACH CHARACTER CAN GET AN EPIC PIECE OF LOOT FROM THE WELL ONCE*. Just repeat the process for each character and bring 600g. Had my cleric shoot it and each of us took turns looping through the conversation and getting the loot.
One of the tombs beyond the source barrier I can't open, any idea ?
The necromancers did Not drop any key for me and i tried several times. Unless you have to kill them more than 3 times in a row, it's either bugged or the information here is false.
The well is bugged. You can do it on every character. Use the shapeshifting head to change race, and it count as a different character, you can use the well again
There is a sewers passage into a room to the west (need someone with thievery to picklock) behind 2 crates, it has some nice loot there and there is a lever but no idea what it does !!!
There is another room. that you cant even navigate in top of it...