- Deal with the Silent Monks or
- Deal with White Magister Jonathan
This branching quest can be started at either north of the Driftwood - Field waypoint (X380 Y274) inside of a burning house (with some dead silent monks nearby), or later on in front of a farmhouse at Paradise Downs (For the 1st branch option of the quest, you must encounter Gareth at the burning house prior to visiting Paradise Downs; else, you will automatically go down the 2nd branch option).
If you begin the quest inside the burning house, you will find White Magister Jonathan knocked out by Gareth. He will explain how he formerly knew the Magister, and opts whether to finish the deed. At this point, the quest branches on whether you convince Gareth to spare Jonathan, or to kill him right there:
1. Kill Jonathan: If you choose to kill Jonathan at the burning house, Gareth will hesitate, and you can opt finish off Jonathan yourself. If so, you will need to perform a persuasion check (or mention "..the time of timidity is over.." and "man of action I met in the swamp" to bypass the check) to convince Gareth to stay in your party for later acts. The quest is 'technically finished' at this point. You will get some EXP for your troubles, alongside some randomized loot on Jonathan's body. At Paradise Downs, a new side-quest will appear that involves removing some Voidwoken animals from the farmhouse, at the behest of Gareth's parents (who are hiding behind a wagon). Doing this side quest will reward you with a unique ring known as Hannag's Ring (or you may simply pickpocket the reward, which is contained inside a supply kit).
2. Jonathan Lives: If you either started the quest at Paradise Downs instead, or spared Jonathan at burning house, you will now find Gareth outside a farmhouse burying the bodies of his parents. He will want you to kill some silent monks for revenge. These monks are inside the farmhouse and you will need to persuade the Paladins guarding the front to let you in. Conversely, if you can't or don't want to, you can go to the right of the farmhouse and Teleport inside through the hole in the roof. In order to get Gareth to stop digging you will have to open the door though. So either lockpick it or break it down.
Once inside, speak with Gareth and he will ask you to help find proof of Jonathan's participation. You can either use Spirit Vision inside the house to speak with Gareth's parents, or you can find Jonathan's Gloves laying near a tree just outside the farmhouse. After a short dialogue, you will be given the decision to persuade Gareth (Intelligence or Memory check, 30 in stat with 0 persuasions will fail) to either forgive/spare Jonathan's life or kill him. Regardless of the outcome, you can still attack and kill Jonathan later on, which may upset Gareth and prompt him to leave, assuming you tell him. Jonathan is located in the Blackpits, and is involved in another quest. Once Gareth leaves the farmhouse for the Lady Vengeance, feel free to dig up the bodies for some extra loot, and a unique dagger known as the Pride of Pryce. There will also be a supply kit hidden near the wagon which contains the aforementioned ring.
Failing the check means Gareth will make up his own mind (mercy) and will then proceed to Paradise Dawns after moving Jonathan. When convincing him of mercy, you can choose the very bottom option ("...did not save him in the swamp for him to...") to bypass the check.
Once your log has updated with "We convinced Gareth that..." (changes depending on what you did), you can safely move on in the quest.
- If you kill White Magister Jonathan for Gareth when he is standing over his unconscious body and convince him to relax on the ship, his parents won't die and will be at the family farm. Jonathan is then replaced by White Magister Kari in the Blackpits interrogating Gwydian Rince.
- Warning! If you go to Paradise Downs before going to the house north of Driftwood, or close to it such as the Stonegarden Graveyard, you will automatically be sent down the second branch of this quest! So make sure to head north of Driftwood first to get the first branch of this quest!
- Jonathan will drop loot scaled to his level whether or not you kill him at the burning building, or at the Blackpits. Thus, having him killed at the burning house will net you high level gear quite early on within act 2.
- Outside the house with Gareth and Jonathan, beside the woodpile under the canopy, you can discover a mound, with high enough lucky charm, containing a sack of loot.
- For the "Iniquity Forgiven" achievement you must have 4 Persuasion and tell Gareth to stay his weapon, then look in his eyes. This achievement is awarded to all players and you cannot get this achievement in the same playthrough as the "Furious Rebuke" achievement but you can reload to get them both. If doing this, you can also kill Jonathan later on without any repercussions.
- For the "Furious Rebuke" achievement you must encourage Gareth to finish the deed, tell him that the time for timidity has passed and slay Jonathan yourself, then tell him you did what had to be done and fail the persuasion check. This achievement is awarded to only the person speaking to Gareth.
- For the "Furious Rebuke" achievement, you may need to agree to kill Jonathan and bring back proof before you are awarded the achievement. One option is to agree to the murder and then just go and steal the ring from him. You can teleport the guard watching him far away while Jonathan is executing the seeker and then do a quick pick-pocket.
- For the Pride of Pryce, note that it will only spawn for the 2nd branch. It does not spawn in the 1st branch at all, for some reason.
- It is possible to 'save' Gareth's parents without killing Jonathan at the burning house. I went to the burning house and found it empty. I later teleported down to the Black Pits from the graveyard (to the burning house with magisters outside) and cleared the area, including killing Jonathan, before tracking 'backwards' towards Gareth's parents. It was filled with voidwoken - killing them then talking to Gareth's parents behind the wagon gave Hannag's ring as a quest reward.