Burying the Past is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. We came upon Gareth in an abandoned farmhouse, hovering over the unconscious body of a White Magister. We should find out what's going on.
- Deal with the Silent Monks or
- Deal with White Magister Jonathan
The quest can be started at roughly X380 Y274, south of the Driftwood - Field waypoint inside of a burning house, or in front of a house in Paradise Downs. This needs to be done soon after landing in reapers coast, otherwise the burning house will be empty and the quest will start with him burying his parent's bodies in Paradise Downs. If you start the quest in Paradise Downs, or find him after the above, he will want you to kill some silent monks for revenge. These monks are in the farmhouse nearby and you will need to persuade the Paladins guarding the front to let you in. Conversely, if you can't or don't you can go to the right of the farm house and Teleport inside through the hole in the roof. In order to get Gareth to stop digging you will have to open the door though. So either lockpick it or break it down.
Once inside, speak with Gareth and he will ask you to help find proof. Use Spirit Vision inside the house to speak with Gareth's parents. You can find Jonathan's Gloves laying near a tree just outside the farmhouse. After a short dialogue, you will be given the decision to persuade Gareth (Intelligence or Memory check, 30 in stat with 0 persuasions will fail) to either spare Jonathan's life or kill him. Regardless of the outcome, you can still attack and kill Jonathan, which will upset Gareth greatly and prompt him to leave. Jonathan is located in the Blackpits.
Failing the check means Gareth will make up his own mind (mercy) and will then proceed to Paradise Dawns after moving Jonathan. When convincing him of mercy, you can choose the very bottom option ("...did not save him in the swamp for him to...") to bypass the check.
Once your log has updated with "We convinced Gareth that..." (changes depending on what you did), you can safely move on in the quest.
- If you kill White Magister Jonathan for Gareth when he is standing over his unconscious body and convince him to relax on the ship, his parents won't die and will be at the family farm. You cannot interact with them and they cower behind a cart. Jonathan is then replaced by White Magister Kari in the Blackpits interrogating Gwydian Rince.
- Outside the house with Gareth and Jonathan, beside the woodpile under the canopy, you can discover a mound, with high enough lucky charm, containing a sack of loot.
- For the "Iniquity Forgiven" achievement you must have 4 Persuasion and tell Gareth to stay his weapon, then look in his eyes. This achievement is awarded to all players and you cannot get this achievement in the same playthrough as the "Furious Rebuke" achievement but you can reload to get them both.
- For the "Furious Rebuke" achievement you must encourage Gareth to finish the deed, tell him that the time for timidity has passed and slay Jonathan yourself, then tell him you did what had to be done and fail the persuasion check. This achievement is awarded to only the person speaking to Gareth.