Keep Calm and Carrion is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. In Fort Joy, the Godwoken learns of a powerful set of armour based on dwarven rituals. Later, the Godwoken discovers an ancient altar in the mountains west of Driftwood. The Godwoken learns about a way to craft a set of powerful set of Armour known as the Vulture Armour Set, which requires feathers from an entity called Duna's Undertaker. Using rituals discovered throughout the region, the Godwoken can retrieve these feathers and craft the Vulture Armour Set.
The Vulture Armour set is an excellent set of armour for ranged attackers using Finesse skills.
- Duna's Undertaker
- Read the book on Dwarven customs in Act 1
- (Optional) Read the book on Dwarven customs in Act 2 (located in the Witch's House)
- Summon Duna's Undertaker - TPK first round at level 11. Duna will close circuit any low level party with high Initiative and do a total party kill.
- Suggested level for completion is minimum 14 if you complete Obj. 2; 15 if not.
- Peaceful solution (described in book about dwarven customs in witches hut) is available with Beast regardless of Level so you get a lvl 14 Armour set with Level 9-10 which is OP, If you read all books Lvl 14, otherwise Lvl 15
In Orivand's Chambers, Fort Joy. You can find a book called Dwarven Customs & Traditions, it contains all recipes of Vulture Armour and a recipe called Source-infused meat (Muttom, any earth essence, source orb).
The second page, Dwarven Customs & Traditions (Excerpt) can be found in the Witch's house (X:365 Y:227) north of Driftwood next to the Witch's Eye needed for quest Treated Like Cattle.
You can do this regardless of level or origin character, as long as you have the excerpt from the witches hut. Source-Infused Meat needs to be crafted as an offering to summon the Undertaker.
Required crafting items:
Tip: If you lack the ingredients for Source-Infused Meat, you can buy mutton from Trader Thun, both earth essence and a source orb can be found in Meister Siva's basement during Powerful Awakening, and you can acquire some more source orbs from quest Counting your Chickens or in Mordus' basement located under his house in Driftwood when first starting A Taste of Freedom.
The altar to summon is located south west of Driftwood. (around X:217, Y:28). A page about the altar's location is under Mordus' house, and reading it will mark the map.
Placing Source-Infused Meat on that altar will summon Duna's Undertaker with the status effect Grounded (Immunity to being teleported) for 1 turn, and immediately start a dialog between the character who placed the offering. During the dialog the Undertaker is immune to any kind of attack even though the stats page does not state so.
Appease or Combat
Appeasing the Undertaker will grant you 5 Blessed Vulture Feathers, and she will immediately vanish not providing any opportunity to attack after providing the gift.
- *Tell the creature that you are here to receive its blessing.*
- *Bow with your arms outstretched.*
- *Quietly request its blessing.*
- *Say that you intend to save the souls of the fallen.*
Failure to appease the Undertaker results with immediate combat. Combat starts with Decomposing (Undead) Dwarves spawning and the Undertaker, usually, moving to an advantageous spot to cast Superconductor if there is more than one target. The Duna's Undertaker is level 15 with an initiative of 51. Once the Duna's Undertaker, and her undead minions are defeated you will to get the Cursed Vulture Feathers. You need to Bless these feathers before crafting the Vulture Armour. (1 blessed feather + any leather part armour (finesse based))
If choosing to fight Duna's Undertaker and the Decomposing Dwarves, there are a few precautions that would be wise to take:
- Duna's Undertaker and her minions have many powerful lightning based abilities, so using Air Resistance Potions will help mitigate damage.
- The Teleportation spell is very effective here - the raised sections of the arena are extremely close to the beach just west of Driftwood. Having a caster stand on the scaffolding and use Teleportation spells and scrolls on Duna's Undertaker and her minions can give valuable breathing room. Also, while it is still possible to use movement abilities to get back up into the arena, it's much more difficult, and sometimes Duna may get stuck on the beach.
- Spells and scrolls of Peace of Mind, First Aid and other methods of removing Blindness are handy. Duna's Undertaker has an ability called Peck Eyes which deals large Air damage and inflicts blindness. Her minions often use Blinding Radiance also.
- The entire combat arena has a water surface, adding to the difficulty of the encounter. A way of dealing with water - such as freezing the water into ice and using boots with immune to slipping traits (craftable with any boots + nails), having a method of hovering such as the Spread Your Wings spell, or a method of Stun immunity such as on the Armour of the Eternals can be useful.
- Duna has no points in Perseverance, meaning that once her physical armour has been destroyed, she can be chain knocked-down, petrified, etc without dealing with constant armor replenishment.
The Vulture Armour itself can then be created by combining the non-cursed feathers (try dropping them on the ground then targeting them with the Bless ability) with any Finesse-based gear. Among other features, the full set offers some unique perks:
- Permanent flight (hovering and access to jump as if using the Spread Your Wings spell) (The effective range of the jump is 17m instead of 13 due to Farsight)
- Permanent Farsight (+4m range on ranged attacks and abilities)
- Permanent Perforation (all physical attacks deal extra damage that bypasses physical armour, scales with level)
- Grants access to the Vulture's Prayer innate skill (2AP skill to explode a corpse for healing and 15% damage buff)
- Grants access to the Dust Blast innate skill (1 source + 3 AP skill to deal earth damage and Blind enemies in a 13m (17 due to Farsight) range)
- Immunity to Blinding
- Vulture Armour Set stats & description: here
- Appeasing the Undertaker is considered the best route of action allowing you to complete the quest at a low level. Giving you the means to craft the Vulture Armour set at a very early stage in Act 2. If you have a Ranger in your party this is a must have.
- If you're quick (really quick) to Teleport Pyramid away before the dialog starts, you'll still end up go talking with the Undertaker, but after you'll be out of range of combat if your other party members are not close by.
- You get similar amounts of experience from either combat (~400 XP total) or appeasement (~200 XP total) and both methods give very little XP.