Mercy is Power is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. Finding Windego, the old woman who blew up the ship back in the prologue, you are offered the choice to help her in Arx. Will you do so?
- Encounter Windego in the Sallow Man's camp and kill her.
- Encounter her again in Arx, below the prison.
- Speak to her.
- Give her the Swornbreaker weapon to sever her ties with the God-King (optional).
Deep inside the Sallow Man's camp, you will find a letter in the war room about Windego, the witch who blew up the ship bringing you to Fort Joy. You will meet her in person once again, this time as a skeleton, and she will attack you. Kill her and cast spirit vision. Talking to her yields no real answers except that she is sworn to the God-King. After the conversation, her spirit will disappear.
You will meet Windego once again, this time in the deep below the Magister's prison at Arx. To get there, you will first need to persuade two Paladins to allow you to pass the locked door and head downstairs. Attempting to teleport past the locked gate will render the guards hostile, if spotted.
Head downstairs and speak to the Loremaster, where you will once again need to pass a speech check or tell them that you were the one who sent a war owl to the Paladins informing them of the Black Ring collusion with the Magisters back in the Blackpits in Act II in order to speak to Windego.
From here, interact with the device nearby and if you removed your source collar with the help of the blacksmith back in Fort Joy, you will be afforded the option to turn off the switch without spending source points. Speak to Windego and she'll tell you that she is no longer the God-King's favorite chosen - Lord Linder Kemm is. She will then leave, intent on aheading to Lord Kemm's estate to obtain his Swornbreaker, but not before giving you a "Charm Voidwoken" skillbook as a reward first.
At this point, if you let her leave without giving her the Swornbreaker and have not freed Arhu yet, you will find her corpse on the upper platform in Arhu's prison area, to the side. Casting Spirit Vision and speaking to her will reveal that her spirit is on the verge of being torn apart by the God-King, and you will have to either consume her source to spare her from that fate (but still damning her all the same), or let the God-King consume her. You can loot her corpse for 2 virtue tokens after; these tokens grant 2 source points each when consumed.
If you stop her before she leaves though, giving her a Swornbreaker to sever her ties with the God-King, she will finally be able to leave for the Hall of Echoes. If you do so, you will be rewarded with a "Charm Voidwoken" skillbook and a choice of Epic-quality loot (level 18). You will still be able to loot her body for 2 virtue tokens if you choose this path.
Either way, the quest is complete, regardless of whether you gave her a Swornbreaker or not. You will receive no XP for finishing the quest.
If you attack her, you can loot her body for the 2 virtue tokens. Killing her grants no XP and also forfeits the skillbook. The quest is complete after she dies.
- There are 2 Swornbreaker weapons in-game, one forged with the parts found on the Nameless Isle, along with the tablet back in Driftwood, and one inside Lord Kemm's vault. The one forged with parts scales to your level, so if you are intent on using it, it may be wise to wait until a high level before crafting it.
- If you already looted Kemm's vault including his Swornbreaker before speaking to her, she will still say that she will leave for Kemm's vault to find his Swornbreaker. If you subsequently head back there to meet her, you won't find her there at all. This is considered a good thing, since if you have not looted Kemm's vault before speaking to her and didn't give her the Swornbreaker, she will meet her demise in Arhu's prison.
- You can give her a depleted Swornbreaker with zero durability after using it.
- A "Charm Voidwoken" skillbook upon freeing and talking to her in Arx, completing the quest.
- Additionally, a choice of epic-quality loot (level 18) if you give her a Swornbreaker weapon.