Running like Clockwork is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. Speaking to an Imp Ghost, you discover there is a gem lying somewhere that may hold secrets. Will you be able to unlock them?
- Speak to the Imp Ghost.
- Find the Imp Gem.
- Pass the test and be teleported into the Pocket Plane of Xantezza.
- Make your way to the core and deactivate it in 1 combat turn.
Use Spirit Vision and speak with the imp ghost named "Knight of Xantezza" by the empty altar of Xantezza and ask what's wrong. You'll learn that an Imp Gem was stolen by the Black Ring.
Go to an area at the south-eastern section of the map, at around co-ordinates X:275, Y:824. This area is very close to the Lunar Gate Waypoint, just slightly westwards of it on the map. You will come to a talking ruby and two wolves as depicted by the picture below. Defeat the two wolves for 13950XP each. Alternatively, you can speak to them and pass a speech check to make them stand down, but you will receive no XP whatsoever for doing so. Alternatively, if you killed the men who previously had the gem you can tell the dogs to go eat them for experience and no combat. (if you want to give them a body part, make SURE it's a normal body part. If you give them a quest body part like Alexandar's Head or Shadow Prince's heart then you may not finish some other quests.)
Now talk to the ruby. For the first question, none of the answers will matter much. But for the next question, where the gem will ask you how many eyes there are, if you answer wrongly, it will turn into an inert state. However, if you answer with [MYSTIC] or [NOBLE] tagged answers, it will gulp and teleport you to Xantezza's pocket plane. It is imperative you reach the pocket plane, or else you will miss out on a lot of rewards.
Upon reaching the pocket plane, you will immediately receive 30,100 Exploration XP and 20,075XP. You will be continually slowed in this place, and to open the first door, you must press the 4 pressure plates as shown in the picture below. There are heavy metal crates that you can use to help you press all 4 pressure plates without the use of any party members, but you will need some strength to move them. Alternatively, you can also use teleport to teleport the crates around. Once the door is open, proceed.
This section section is a little more tricky. Pressing the pressure plates in this area will unleash fire from the pipes, so do not press them. You can disarm the traps here, or just navigate around them. If you look past the gas traps, you can see a little wheel valve that reads "Emergency Flush Protocol". If you interact with it, it will immediately flush the entire area with lava and deathfog, which can be fatal for both undead (lava) and non-undead (deathfog) parties. Instead, simply use teleportation/leaping/flying skills or lockpick the door near the Emergency Flush Protocol valve to reach the "Hyperdrive Protocol" valve (co-ordinates: X:154, Y:538) - this will replace slow with haste for the entire party.
Now you have a myraid of choices, but basically, the goal here is to reach the core (at co-ordinates X:116, Y:462) without dying because you only have 1 combat turn to do so before it spots you and unleashes a scripted deathfog that immediately kills your entire party, undead or not. One option here is to use the pipes as shown in the picture below to get as near to the core as possible without being spotted.
If you have a lot of movement speed, you can also tackle it head on by opening the sole non-locked door in the area.
Ultimately though, the easiest option is to simply use the locked door closest to the core, provided you have the thievery level required. A character with haste and 5AP should have no real issues reaching the core this way.
In any case, interact with the core before your turn is over, and it will be safely deactivated. You will receive 20,075XP upon entering the room with the core, and another 20,075XP and a choice of legendary-quality loot upon deactivating it and completing the quest.
- 13,950XP for each wolf killed, for a total of 27,900XP for both wolves (optional).
- 20,075XP upon entering the Pocket Plane.
- 30,100 Exploration XP upon entering the Pocket Plane.
- 20,075XP upon entering the room with the core.
- 20,075XP and a choice of legendary-quality loot upon completion of the quest.
- The first 4 plates can be pressed with reinforced crates laying around.
- Gas traps can be covered by lab equipment and stools, or simply disarmed.
- At the entrance (waypoint shrine), look for the pipes. It can be very helpful to leave one NPC along with a teleporter pyramid permanently detached from the party on those pipes for a quick emergency escape. If you let the core explode, you forfeit the rewards though.
- You can use teleport/flying/leaping skills from the pipes to move one character directly into the core chamber and much closer to the core itself. This makes it very easy to shut it down.