Seeking Revenge is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. You find Gareth and Bishop Alexandar at the top of the Elven Temple ready to fight. Which side will you choose?
- Find Bishop Alexandar and Gareth at the top of the Elven Temple.
- Pick a side.
At the top of Elven Temple, Gareth is in a standoff with Bishop Alexandar. Depending on your choice, several scenarios can happen.
However, know now that if you did not convince Gareth to abandon his quest of revenge during Burying the Past quest, you will not be able to succeed any Persuasion checks (47 in stat + 7 persuasion failure, tagged as impossible in system). It's also worth noting that Ifan will not engage in his conversation with the Bishop until after the encounter with Gareth (and if you intend to kill him, you can always do it now).
If you successfully persuade Gareth to stand down, he will return to the Lady Vengeance and wait for you there. You will gain 70,225 XP (50,150 XP in DE Edition) for successfully persuading him and the quest will end. Depending on the dialogue choices made previously with Gareth, certain speech checks may not be available (for example, only Strength and Memory speech checks may be available, if you stopped Gareth from taking revenge in Burying the Past). It should be noted that this path, while satisfying, does not give the most XP or rewards.
If you decide to defend Alexandar against Gareth, or decide to simply walk away and do nothing, Gareth will attack you. Kill him for 40,125XP and the quest ends (20,225 XP in DE Edition).
If you decide to attack Alexandar with Gareth, Delorus (if he survived back at Fort Joy and you led him here earlier), will try to persuade you not to attack Alexandar. Ultimately though, if you want to attack Alexandar, there is only one choice here: you will have to fight Alexandar and his bunch of cronies, along with Delorus. Slaughter them all; a well-placed thunderstorm spell here will instantly kill your enemies here if your critical chance and intelligence is high enough. Delorus gives only 100 XP (50 XP DE Edition), Alexandar gives no XP, while the 5 magisters/paladins are worth 40,125 XP each (22,075 XP in DE Edition), making it a total of 200,725 XP (110,425 XP DE Edition). Once they are all dirt in the ground, Gareth will talk to you and reward you with a choice of Divine-quality loot. The quest is complete at this point. Remember not to eat Alexandar's head as an elf if you want to complete "The Sallow Man" quest (by eating the head, you can learn how to enter the council, but there is a better way to do so, listed below)!
If you killed Alexandar, before you leave, you can also cast spirit vision and speak to the spirit of Alexandar, and as long as you have a persuasion skill of 5 (lower skill levels may require more investment in the specific stat), you can simply pass any of the speech check options and learn how to enter the council from him, without having to do his quest of killing the Sallow Man. You will earn experience based on the number of Altars to the 7 that you have prayed at. The more Altars you have already learned from, the less experience you get).
- If you are planning to side with the Black Ring, you will have to kill Alexandar either way, so simply finishing them off here with the help of Gareth nets you the most rewards. You can then loot his body and give his head to the Sallow Man to learn how to get into the Academy (or you can just get in there through the southern entrance).
- If you are planning to side with the Magisters, you can let Alexandar live and fulfill his request of killing the Sallow Man. However, note that he will turn against you later on in the Arena of One.
- 70,225XP for persuading Gareth not to attack Bishop Alexandar (50,150 XP DE Edition ) You can kill Alexandar and his group after if you are going to do the Sallow Man questline.
- A total of 200,625XP (+100XP if Delorus is there) and a choice of Divine-quality loot for killing Bishop Alexandar and his group with or without Gareth (110,375 XP + 50 XP if Delorus is there DE Edition ) OR
- 40,125XP for defending Alexandar against Gareth, resulting in you having to kill Gareth (20,225 XP in DE Edition).