- Move the chest from the fire.
- Speak to the chest.
- Find the password.
- Open the chest.
In Stonegarden, you can find a lizard chest in between two fire-breathing statues. Move it out the flame so you can speak to it.
Let a lizard speak to it (the Red Prince will do), and you will learn it requires a password to open. The password can be learned from the salamander at Ryker's mansion, but it has to be a lizard character with both the Pet Pal talent and the "Scholar" tag. Fane's Mask of the Shapeshifter can NOT be used in this case (this has been patched out). You need the Red Prince specifically. With enough persuasion ability, you can also pass a speech check to make the chest open for you. Finding the password from the salamander gives 9650XP though.
Alternatively, use an Elf or Mask of the Shapeshifter to turn into an Elf and eat the disembodied leg of Consul Zur to learn her memories of the song/password. It is located in Ryker's basement underneath a pile of body parts. Opening the chest will grant 3875XP and complete the quest.
Alternatively you can destroy the chest by attacking it. This will grant less experience but will close the quest with the remark "we opened the chest".
Warning: If you lockpicked the chest before getting the quest, you can no longer talk to the chest and finish the quest normally, however you can then destroy the chest to force the quest to close.
- Teleport the chest out from the flames
- A Lizard Scholar can persuade the chest to open. Fane and Sebille can do it while wearing the face of a Lizard. Persuasion check: 3.
- Smashing it gets the loot but does not solve the quest, noble lizard with petpal does not qualify to get the password.
- A Scholar elf may learn a song from gravekeeper, which can open the chest (?)
- Consul Zur's leg can be found at Ryker's basement, eat it will taught you the song/password. The leg can be found on the table on X:596 Y:787, make sure you use alt to see if it's the right body part and if it's rotten or not. (to be verified for me its was under the table on X:585 Y:782)