|Previous Quest||The Missing Magisters|
Strange Cargo is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II, Act II.
- Escort Higba safely out of Driftwood.
After initiating the Missing Magisters quest, Magister Carver will task you to find Higba, the primary suspect of the missing Magisters. You will find him hiding in a fish barrel in a corner of a storage room at the southeast end of the fishery. Higba will whisper to you as you get close to him.
If you talk to Higba, he will plead for you to help him escape Driftwood. The Magisters are on a manhunt for him due to his involvement with explosives, the primary reason for the suspicions directed towards him.
If you decide to help him escape, you need to escort him outside Driftwood without been caught by the Magisters. You can use your mini-map to track where the Magisters are, and use the sneaking ability to escape.
An easy method is to lead him to the west side of the port and use the Teleport skill to send him to the other side of the river. After doing so, he will re-enter his barrel. Speak to it for an Acid Spores Scroll and some other rewards, one of which is a Rune.
Once he is safe, he will tell you that he suspects the cook at the tavern has something to do with the missing Magisters, and the quest will be closed.
Alternatively, the other choice is to turn him in to a Magister. This will result in you having to fight and kill him.
Note: In the original release, it was possible to finish the quest instantly, by travelling to a Waypoint outside of town. This exploit has been removed in the definitive release. If you travel by Waypoint or by teleporter pyramid, Higba will remain behind.
Whilst escorting Higba, each time you run into magisters a choice will be avilable to you, either turn him in or defend him. If you decide to escort him out of town and you preemptively attack magisters before this dialogue box appears, as soon as you are victorious Higba immediately becomes hostile, forcing you to reload or kill him. This can be avoided by allowing each and every group of magisters to approach you and attempt to arrest him or clear out every magister in town before escorting him.
- You can pickpocket Higba's Homemade Explosives by Talking to him during escort. Its damage scales with your level (roughly ~20x more powerful than a Fireball) and can instantly kill bosses at later Acts.
- Use another character and tell Magister Benson nearby about Higba's bomb. (This dialogue option will be available after Higby threatens he will blow up the town). Agree to lure and kill him outside Driftwood for 3000 EXP regardless if you go through with it or not. Alternatively you can point to where Higba is hiding for 2000 EXP.
- If you choose to side with the Magisters when Higba is found, be prepared to kill him in one turn, otherwise he will suicide using his Homemade Explosives and instant-kill your party. Fun fact: If you had pickpocketed his bomb earlier he will curse you.
- Escorting Higa safely will net you 6000 EXP.
- You can attack the Barrel where Higby is in after the quest is complete. Killing him will give you 2000 EXP.