The Execution is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. Coming across a paladin about to be executed for her supposed crimes, you might just be able to save her. Would you do so? If so, would you succeed, or would you fail?
- Interrupt the execution.
- Pass a speech check and save Paladin DeSelby.
Upon entering the courtyard of the Magister Barracks, you will be approached by Marie, who will frantically beg you to save her wife - a Paladin who is about to be executed by her own for disobeying orders.
Approach Lord Kemm, and attempt to persuade him to spare Paladin DeSelby.
You will have to pass a particularly difficult speech check:
- [Wits Persuasion] (5 Persuasion) *Whisper that you're here to find a Seeker matching her description. You need her alive...*
- [Constitution Persuasion] (6 Persuasion) *Wonder what Lucian would do? Surely he'd have the wisdom to show mercy.*
- [Intelligence Persuasion] (5 Persuasion) *Argue that this 'traitor' might have key information.*
- [Strength Persuasion] (5 Persuasion) *If she's not fit to be a Paladin, suggest he banish her. No-one needs to die today.*
If you fail the first speech check, you can still pass the second speech check and get him to spare Paladin DeSelby. Otherwise, he will execute her if you fail the second speech check. (Note that in the Definitive Edition, there is no second speech check)
In any case, if you fail, Lord Kemm will execute Paladin DeSelby and the quest ends. If you succeed, you will gain 38,800XP and Marie will give you a choice of loot reward for saving her wife. The quest is complete at this point.
Later, you can also meet the Paladin DeSelby at the Magister Prison, where she will give you the quest, The Vault of Linder Kemm, if you do not already have it.
- 38,800XP and a choice of loot reward for saving Paladin DeSelby.