The Mother Tree is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. The Elven Scion protecting the Mother Tree wants you to kill the Shadow Prince, while the Shadow Prince wants you to kill the Mother Tree. Which side you will choose?
- Talk to the Elven Scion or The Shadow Prince.
- Kill the Mother Tree OR the Shadow Prince.
- Speak to the other party.
At the Elven Temple, A priestess of the Elven Temple will ask you to seek out the Elven Scion at the top of the tree. Alternatively, The Shadow Prince will also give you this quest; he can be found in the Lava Fields south of the isle. Proceed to the top of the tree by climbing the vines - it is near where Bishop Alexandar is. The moment you reach the top of the tree, you will receive 20,075 Exploration XP.
At the top of the tree, there is an Elven Scion you can talk to, who will bid you to kill the Shadow Prince. If Sebille is in your party, she will request to speak to the Elven Scion and you can simply watch the conversation that unfolds. The startling revelation here is that the Shadow Prince is actually the Master of the House of Shadows, who Sebille has been wanting to kill all along.
In any case, leave the area and suddenly Saheila will appear. She asks Sebille to kill the Mother Tree to set the Elves free, a drastic change from her previous personality. From here, you will have 2 options. You can follow Saheila's advice and kill the Mother Tree, or you can ignore her and kill the Shadow Prince (or both, if you prefer, but do so upon completion of the quest for maximum XP).
If you choose to kill the Mother Tree, you will need to interact with it and use the wooden box the Shadow Prince gave you, or have Sebille in your party; otherwise, there is no option to kill the Mother Tree. Depending on the option taken, the outcome can differ drastically! Please read below for more details:
- If you used the wooden box the Shadow Prince gave you, the Elven Scion and 3 dryads will attack you. You will receive 83700XP for killing the Scion, and 55800XP for each Dryad. There is also a tree summon which will give you 13950XP when killed, although it will automatically die the moment his Dryad owner is killed (so you may simply see 69750XP as the game automatically adds up the XP for you). Once they are all dead, return back to the Shadow Prince, and you will receive 80,250XP, a choice of legendary-quality loot, and an ornate chest will spawn right next to the Shadow Prince, giving you lots of great loot. The only drawback here is that Sebille, if she is in your party, will not be able to have her revenge as the Shadow Prince will disappear upon completion of the quest. Also, the entire Elven area will be covered in Deathfog, killing the traders, Bishop Alexandar, etc. if any are still living and lingering in the area.
- If you used Sebille to kill the Mother Tree, the Elven Scion will die immediately and the quest will be closed for 20,075XP. Note that if you go this route, upon leaving the area, the Elven priests, traders, Lost Knight, etc. will all attack you so you will have to fight your way out.
If you choose to kill the Shadow Prince, simply head to the Lava fields south of the Isle. The location of the Shadow Prince is marked on your map. As you get close to him, you will receive 20,075 Exploration XP, and depending on who you have in your party, the conversation can be very interesting (you can save your game here to see the multiple conversation branches).
- If you have Sebille in your party, the Shadow Prince and her will converse, and he will state that the Elves are the true evil, trying to spread their roots all over Rivellon. He will then sing a song that can mind control Sebille, and if you do not sing the song to break her out of his control, Sebille will be completely controlled by the Shadow Prince, leave your party permanently, and her quest will be closed. If you subsequently attack the Shadow Prince, she will fight as a neutral NPC for some reason and attack the Prince with you, but Sebille will still be enthralled after he's dead and will not rejoin your party, nor will there be any second opportunity to sing her song. In any case, simply sing the song at the first available opportunity to break her out of her trance, and combat will immediately begin with Sebille still in your party. If you have the Red Prince in your party as well, it may be wise to move Sebille away from your party first, so you can at least advance the Red Prince's personal quest without violence, as listed below (if you killed him already, just use spirit vision and talk to the spirit of the Shadow Prince to advance the Red Prince's quest normally).
- If you have the Red Prince in your party (priority is given to Sebille first, if she is also in your party), they will converse, and he will reveal that he is behind the attacks on the Red Prince life, as well as orchestrating the succubus attack that sent him to Fort Joy in the first place. Ultimately, he confesses that the real reason he wants the Red Prince dead is because he needs to prevent him and Sadha (the Red Princess) from mating and bringing back "Great Red Dragons" into the world, which would inevitably plunge the world into a "terrible splendour of fire." He furthermore suspects that Sadha is working with the Black Ring. He will then try to make a deal with the Red Prince, asking him to kill Sadha instead. If you intercede and say it is better to kill Sadha, you will lose 5 attitude points with him. In any case, he will simply demand to know where Sadha is and the Shadow Prince will tell him to use the Sallow Man's mirrors for answers. His personal quest will be updated at this point.
If you have Sebille in your party then killing the Shadow Prince, turning in his heart (with Sebille at a distance), agreeing to become "rooted", then leaving to meet Saheila, then returning to kill the heart will grant you a full 60k more experience than killing the Heart first then killing the Prince. It will also enable you to keep the Rooted perk from Sebille even if you killed the tree afterwards.
Either way, you are still offered the same choice even if you don't have Sebille or The Red Prince in your party; the Shadow Prince will request you kill the Mother Tree, giving you a wooden box to do so. You can oblige, or you can simply kill him. The Shadow Prince and his 5 goons are worth 40,125XP each, making it a grand total of 240,750XP. Loot his body for his heart (you can eat his heart as an elf to learn the "Daggers Drawn" skill, but if you do so you will forfeit all rewards associated with this quest!) and head back to the Mother Tree.
From here, if you have Sebille in your party, make sure to move her far away from the Elven Scion before talking to her. The reason is because you will receive 80,250XP, a choice of legendary-quality loot, and a giant-quality rune when you give the Scion the Shadow Prince's heart, completing the quest, but if you have Sebille close by when you speak to the Scion, you will obtain only the XP and rune, but not the choice of legendary-quality loot. As such, for maximum rewards, move Sebille away from your party first and complete the quest, then speak to the Elven Scion again with Sebille close in tow.
Sebille will request that you let her speak to the Elven Scion. The Scion will request Sebille be the new Mother, and take root. You can interject at this point and tell Sebille to refuse, but if you do this, the Elves will attack you. If you agree, she will feel the Mother's heart and obtain the "Rooted" talent, which gives +3 to memory.
- 20,075 Exploration XP for reaching the top of the Mother Tree and again for reaching the Shadow Prince.
- A grand total of 265,050XP for killing the Elven Scion, her 3 Dryads, and 1 Summon (optional).
- Killing the Mother Tree with Sebille for 20,075XP OR Killing the Mother Tree with the Deathfog and reporting back to the Shadow Prince for 80,250XP, a choice of legendary-quality loot, and an ornate chest.
- A grand total of 240,750XP for killing the Shadow Prince and his 5 henchmen (optional).
- 80,250XP, a choice of legendary-quality loot (only if you completed the quest without Sebille close by), and a giant-quality rune by reporting back to the Elven Scion and giving her the Shadow Prince's heart.
- Once she Shadow Prince's side of this quest is completed, he will be leaving. Any damage cause to him or his minions once the experience reward has been granted will cause them to instantly disappear, denying a fight.On the other hand, moving the Prince away to then have an isolated fight with his minions do not work either, as he will be scripted to attack on sight, preventing you from completing the quest.
- If Sebille is in your party, she can talk to the Elven Scion upon completion of the quest for the "Rooted" talent, which grants +3 memory
If Ifan is in your party, you will recieve -12 attitude with him upon handing in the quest to the Shadow Prince.