The Mother Tree is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. The Elven Scion protecting the Mother Tree wants you to kill the Shadow Prince, while the Shadow Prince wants you to kill the Mother Tree. Which side you will choose?
- Talk to the Elven Scion or The Shadow Prince.
- Kill the Mother Tree OR the Shadow Prince.
- Speak to the other party.
At the Elven Temple, A priestess of the Elven Temple will ask you to seek out the Elven Scion at the top of the tree. Alternatively, The Shadow Prince will also give you this quest; he can be found in the Lava Fields south of the isle. Proceed to the top of the tree by climbing the vines. The moment you reach the top of the tree, you will receive 20,075 Exploration XP (10,050 XP in DE).
At the "Heart" of the Mother Tree, there is an Elven Scion you can talk to, who will bid you to kill the Shadow Prince. If Sebille is in your party, she will request to speak to the Elven Scion and you can watch the conversation that unfolds.
Leave the Heart of the Mother Tree and Saheila will appear. She asks Sebille to kill the Mother Tree to set the Elves free, a drastic change from her previous personality. You will have 2 options. You can follow Saheila's advice and kill the Mother Tree, or you can ignore her and kill the Shadow Prince (or both, if you prefer; see note below on how to optimize the experience granted).
If you choose to kill the Mother Tree, you will need to interact with it and use the wooden box the Shadow Prince gave you, or have Sebille in your party; otherwise, there is no option to kill the Mother Tree. Depending on the option taken, the outcome can differ drastically! Please read below for more details:
- If you used the wooden box the Shadow Prince gave you: The Elven Scion and 3 dryads will attack you. You will receive 83700XP for killing the Scion, and 55800XP for each Dryad. There is also a tree summon which will give you 13950XP when killed, although it will automatically die the moment his Dryad owner is killed (so you may simply see 69750XP as the game automatically adds up the XP for you). Once they are all dead, return back to the Shadow Prince, and you will receive 80,250XP, a choice of legendary-quality loot, and an ornate chest will spawn right next to the Shadow Prince, giving you lots of great loot. The only drawback here is that Sebille, if she is in your party, will not be able to have her revenge as the Shadow Prince will disappear upon completion of the quest. Also, the entire Elven area will be covered in Deathfog, killing the traders, Bishop Alexandar, etc. if any are still living and lingering in the area.
- If you used Sebille to kill the Mother Tree: The Elven Scion will die immediately and the quest will be closed for 20,075XP. Note that if you go this route, upon leaving the area, the Elven priests, traders, Lost Knight, etc. will all attack you so you will have to fight your way out.
If you wish to kill the Shadow Prince, simply head to the Lava fields south of the Isle. The location of the Shadow Prince is marked on your map. As you get close to him, you will receive 20,075 Exploration XP (10,050 XP in DE).
- If you have both Sebille and the Red Prince in your party: You may wish to approach the Shadow Prince alone first (without Sebille) since Sebille will have priority in the conversation. You can then approach with Sebille to advance her quest. Alternatively the Red Prince can use Spirit Vision after the Shadow Prince is defeated to converse with him and advance the Red Prince's quest.
- If you have Sebille in your party: Sebille will have priority in the conversation with the Shadow Prince. He will state that the Elves are the true evil, trying to spread their roots all over Rivellon. He will then sing a song that can mind control Sebille, and if you do not sing the song to break her out of his control, Sebille will be completely controlled by the Shadow Prince, leave your party permanently, and her quest will be closed. If Sebille is your primary character, you can choose to attack the Shadow Prince before this happens. If Sebille is successfully taken and you subsequently attack the Shadow Prince, she will fight as a neutral NPC (for some reason) and attack the Prince with you, but Sebille will still be enthralled after he's dead and will not rejoin your party, nor will there be any second opportunity to sing her song. In any case, simply sing the song at the first available opportunity to break her out of her trance, and combat will immediately begin with Sebille still in your party.
Note that with Sebille in your party, if you wish to kill both the Mother Tree and the Shadow Prince, it is best to kill the Shadow Prince first. You can then use the heart to become the new Mother, get the Rooted perk, then leave to meet Saheila, and finally return to kill the Heart of the Mother Tree which will grant you 60k additional experience compared to killing the Heart first and then the Prince. It will also enable you to keep the Rooted perk for Sebille.
- If you have the Red Prince in your party: When the Red Prince and the Shadow Prince converse, it is revealed that he is behind the attacks on the Red Prince's life, as well as orchestrating the succubus attack that sent him to Fort Joy in the first place. Ultimately, he confesses that the real reason he wants the Red Prince dead is because he needs to prevent him and Sadha (the Red Princess) from mating and bringing back "Great Red Dragons" into the world, which would inevitably plunge the world into a "terrible splendour of fire." He furthermore suspects that Sadha is working with the Black Ring. He will then try to make a deal with the Red Prince, asking him to kill Sadha instead. If you intercede and say it is better to kill Sadha, you will lose 5 attitude points with him. In any case, he will simply demand to know where Sadha is and the Shadow Prince will tell him to use the Sallow Man's mirrors for answers. His personal quest will be updated at this point.
- With neither the Red Prince or Sebille in your party: You are offered the same choice; the Shadow Prince will request you kill the Mother Tree, giving you a wooden box to do so. You can oblige, or you can simply kill him.
The Shadow Prince and his 5 goons are worth 40,125XP each, making it a grand total of 240,750XP (DE Edition Shadow Prince 40,125 XP, 5 goons 20,075 XP each total of 140,500 XP ). Loot his body for his heart. Sebille can present it at the Heart of the Mother Tree to become the new Mother, or you can eat it as an elf to learn the Daggers Drawn (but if you do so you will forfeit all rewards associated with the Mother Tree quest). Head back to the Heart of the Mother Tree to proceed.
From here, if you have Sebille in your party, make sure to move her far away from the Elven Scion before talking to her. The reason is because you will receive 80,250XP (100,300 XP in DE), a choice of legendary-quality loot, and a giant-quality rune when you give the Scion the Shadow Prince's heart, completing the quest, but if you have Sebille close by when you speak to the Scion, you will obtain only the XP and rune, but not the choice of legendary-quality loot. As such, for maximum rewards, move Sebille away from your party first and complete the quest, then speak to the Elven Scion again with Sebille close in tow.
Sebille will request that you let her speak to the Elven Scion. The Scion will request Sebille be the new Mother, and take root. You can interject at this point and tell Sebille to refuse, but if you do this, the Elves will attack you. If you agree, she will feel the Mother's heart and obtain the "Rooted" talent, which gives +3 to memory.
- 20,075 Exploration XP for reaching the top of the Mother Tree and again for reaching the Shadow Prince (10,050 XP in DE)
- A grand total of 265,050XP for killing the Elven Scion, her 3 Dryads, and 1 Summon (139,500 XP in DE)
- Killing the Mother Tree with Sebille for 20,075XP OR Killing the Mother Tree with the Deathfog and reporting back to the Shadow Prince for 80,250XP, a choice of legendary-quality loot, and an ornate chest.
- A grand total of 240,750XP for killing the Shadow Prince and his 5 henchmen (150,500 XP in DE)
- 80,250XP, a choice of legendary-quality loot (only if you completed the quest without Sebille close by), and a giant-quality rune by reporting back to the Elven Scion and giving her the Shadow Prince's heart (100,300 XP in DE).
- Once she Shadow Prince's side of this quest is completed, he will be leaving. Any damage cause to him or his minions once the experience reward has been granted will cause them to instantly disappear, denying a fight.On the other hand, moving the Prince away to then have an isolated fight with his minions do not work either, as he will be scripted to attack on sight, preventing you from completing the quest.
- If Sebille is in your party, she can talk to the Elven Scion upon completion of the quest for the "Rooted" talent, which grants +3 memory
If Ifan is in your party, you will recieve -12 attitude with him upon handing in the quest to the Shadow Prince.