The Purged Dragon is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II.
- Help Slane by killing the witch and retriving her wand
- Free or kill the Winter Dragon
At X:575, Y:160, you will find a sunny, sandy area caked in ice. In the centre of it is Slane the Winter Dragon, tethered to the ground by two chains. You cannot interact with him until his chains have been broken. Break them by using Ctrl+Click on the totems the chains are secured to; they have very low hitpoints so this is a quick task. Speaking to Slane reveals that he has been captured body and soul by Radeka the Witch. She used a Purging Wand to steal his Source, and holds him under her command. By retrieving the wand and giving it to him, he can be truly free. He reveals that she has gone into a cave to fetch Blood Roses, but will return shortly. He implores you to either kill him or free him.
Heading South beneath a natural stone arch you will find a waypoint marker and a cave entrance in the shape of a skull. Entering the cave will take you face to face with Mirage Traps, which disappear from sight as you get close and thus cannot be disarmed. Move barrels to cover the vents which will cause massive explosions if the traps are triggered. Moving further into the cavern, you will find Radeka standing over the corpse of Medat.
To obtain the Purging Wand you must either fight Radeka and loot her corpse, or steal it from her with 2 Thievery. If you choose to speak with her, she will end up kissing you, which gives you the Diseased status. This is a big disadvantage for the fight to come, which can be difficult. Radeka will raise Medat as an undead alongside three other undead enemies. She will also summon three Carrion Beetles, which can do 20-30 points of (magic?) damage with their Coagulated Spit skill, which they may use twice each turn. Radeka can also Charm your character, turning them on any other party members and healing/buffing your enemies.
After defeating Radeka and looting her corpse for some valuable loot including the Purging Wand (the Beetles' corpses will also contain beetle legs, which are expensive), return to Slane. Here you can decide to give him the wand, or keep it for yourself.
If you give him the wand, he will transform into a blue Lizard and explain that he is a Dragon Knight, able to switch between Lizard and Dragon forms. He will thank you for your help and praise your honour and courage, and promise that when you face a choice between defeat and death, he will help you. Later, during the Call to Arms quest, Slane will destroy the Shriekers for you.
If you decide to keep the wand for yourself, you will be able to kill Slane and receive 6,000 exp.
- The dragon will come in to help when you get to the final Alexander fight, by casting a spell on the shriekers in the front of the entry (ignores the 2 shriekers to the right part that goes to the chest). If these are dead, he will not show up!
- If you want the exp and loot for killing Slane but still wish for the dragon's help with Shriekers, give him Radeka's purging wand and attack Slane whilst he is still in dragon form -- this can be tricky but is accomplished by immediately dealing damage as soon as you select the dialog to give him the wand. You would be rewarded with the exp for saving Slane as well as the rewards and 6,000 exp for killing him.
- If you don't want to fight Radeka for the wand, you can pickpocket it off her as well.