The Vault of Linder Kemm is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. The head Paladin, Linder Kemm, seems to have some dark secrets hiding in his vault. Will you uncover them?
- Speak to Paladin DeSelby about Lord Kemm.
- Find the Unusual Painting (the Thieves Guild in the sewers has the original, a replica is in the Cathedral)
- Use the lever to reveal the hatch to Kemm's vault.
- Enter Kemm's vault and place the unusual painting in the frame.
- Place the "Responsibility" Painting onto the altar to reveal Arhu's prison.
- Free Lord Arhu.
- Kill Lord Kemm and his Black Ring cronies.
If you saved Paladin DeSelby back then during the quest, "The Execution", you can head down to the prison and speak to her. She will tell you that Linder Kemm has some secrets, updating your journal.
If you freed Windego in the quest, "Mercy is Power", you will learn that Lord Kemm secretly works for God-King, and is now the God-King's favorite chosen one.
At the city square in Arx, next to the "Arx - City Square" waypoint, you will find an artist painting an art about the devastation in Arx. Cast Spirit Vision and you will see his father's spirit standing right next to him. Speak to his father and you will learn that Lord Kemm has a unique painting collection in his vault.
Before heading straight to Kemm's mansion though, you will need the painting.
The quick way is to steal the replica in the cathedral.
It is recommended to find the original painting the Thieves Guild has stolen. Find the schoolhouse at co-ordinates X:410, Y:240 and speak to Trina to learn the location of the Thieves Guild. This is optional; you can simply just enter the sewers, and with enough wits spot that the wall is actually a hidden door, as shown in the picture below.
Upon entering the Thieves Guild, you will come face to face with a young girl, Big Tomorrah, who will set her 3 trolls loose upon you if you fail her speech check. Each troll is worth 38,800XP, and the kids will disappear permanently if you fail the speech check. However, in this route, you will be able to take the painting for free.
If you pass her speech check, the kids and the trolls will remain. Upon going close to the painting, your character will automatically remark that it's a unique painting. Unfortunately, speaking to Big Tomorrah and asking to buy the painting will result in you having to pass even more speech checks and paying 10,000 gold for it. As such, if on this route, it is better to simply steal the painting rather than paying 10,000 gold for it.
Either way, once you take the painting, you will be awarded 38,800XP. With the painting on hand, it is time to enter Kemm's vault.
Head to the west side of Arx, towards Kemm's Mansion. As you enter inside the mansion itself, you will gain 19,400 Exploration XP. Head to the west, speak to Cat the Appraiser, and pass the speech check. She'll tell you about some items she needs from Kemm's vault, and you'll immediately gain another 19,400XP. The quest, "Old Means Gold" will be started, and should be done in conjunction with this quest.
Head outside to the gardens, and you'll find a locked lever cleverly hidden in the bushes at around co-ordinates X:145, Y:310. Unlock it and pull it, and the entrance to Lord Kemm's vault will be open. The picture below shows the location of the lever:
After you pull the lever, you can find the entrance to the vault in the picture below:
You can lockpick the Hatch or unlock it with Kemm's Key (this can be found in Lord Kemm's attic in his bedroom or pickpocket from Lady Kemm). Head inside, and you will find several automatons patrolling around. If you have looted either Kemm's wedding rings, you can pass them unharmed. Otherwise you will have to fight them. Note that when their health is depleted, they will become "inactive" and attempt to regenerate back to full health. In order to eliminate them completely, you will need to use Source Vampirism while they are inactive.
Bug: If the automaton leaves combat and then you use Source Vampirism on them, no EXP will be granted. Only cast it on them while you are in combat with them.
In any case, move to the end of the vault as shown in the picture below (don't forget to pick up the various items Cat needs for the quest, "Old Means Gold"). Here insert the stolen painting into the spirit frame. This will unlock the wall door, revealing a secret chamber.
Inside the chamber, you will find a chest and a painting named "Responsibility". Take the painting with you and loot the chest for a powerful unique armor for mages, "Ruvola". Now interact with a book in the right bookshelf, as shown in the picture below, to open the wall door.
At this point in time, it is strongly advised to return back to town and complete any side quests that are related to Lord Kemm. As you progress onward with this quest, you will eventually need to fight and kill Lord Kemm, meaning that any quests associated with him will be prematurely closed after doing so.
Behind the stone door is a hatch which will lead you to the Shrine of the God-King. Head downstairs, speak to the God-King, and then read the sign on the ground. It says "Only God King knows the weight of Responsibility." Placing the painting named Responsibility found in the room before onto the altar will reveal the hatch to Arhu's prison.
Lord Arhu is imprisoned in this prison. As you approach him, you will immediately obtain 38,800XP. To free him, you will need to cast Spirit Vision and use source vampirism (in conversation) on those tormentors. Be prepared, however! The moment you release Arhu, there will be a big fight, and Lord Kemm will even join the fight against you. Make sure to complete all quests associated with Lord Kemm before freeing Arhu, such as "The Last Stand of the Magisters" quest!
As shown in the picture above, when you are ready, drain all 3 spirits of their source. Note that you can also take the Swornbreaker from the statue.
Once Lord Arhu is freed, 2 Black Ring Defilers will immediately appear on the lower platform, while a Black Ring Painweaver and Fearmaiden will appear on the upper platform. Lord Kemm will also show up on the second turn, and you'll need to defeat him as well. Each Black Ring member killed will award 107,800XP, while killing Lord Kemm awards 299,700XP. Once Lord Kemm falls, the quest is complete, and you will earn 19,400XP.
Note that in this fight, Arhu is not invulnerable and CAN be killed! To keep Arhu alive, you may want to teleport him to a safe corner, and avoid crowding around him so that Lord Kemm won't use his whirlwind attack on your party and hit Arhu as well when he appears. If he dies, you can always use Spirit Vision to speak to him and advance the quests, "Hammerfall (Wisdom of the Keeper)", and "Finding Lord Arhu" though. You will earn 53,900XP and 96,950XP for a total of 150,850XP this way, for updating these quests (note that the XP is not related to this quest, but is listed here for completion sake, since speaking to Arhu is the next obvious step).
If he is alive, speak to him and the quests will advance in the same way as above, with one difference - you will be rewarded with a choice of Divine-quality loot at the end.
- Kemm's Key which unlocks the hatch in the Garden can be found in the attic of Lord Kemm's bedroom. To enter his bedroom without lockpicking the door you can pickpocket Lord Kemm.
- You can pickpocket either Lady or Lord Kemm's wedding ring. Wearing it you may go through the vault unhindered as the Warbringers will address you as their masters.
- If you sold the painting "Responsibility" and are unable to retrieve it, you can put any painting or object weighing more than 20lb on the God King's altar to unlock the hatch to Arhu's prison.
- If you sold the painting "Second Passion of Lucian" and are unable to retrieve it, you can use the replica in the Cathedral instead to open the secret chamber in Kemm's vault. This is located at the right side of the main hall leading to the Path of Blood.
- 38,800XP per troll, for a total of 116,400XP for all 3 trolls if you fail the speech check in the Thieves Guild (optional).
- 38,800XP for taking the unusual painting.
- 19,400 Exploration XP for entering Kemm's mansion.
- 19,400XP for passing the speech check with Cat the Appraiser (associated with the "Old Means Gold" quest).
- 80,850XP per warbringer statue killed with source vampirism, while in combat.
- 38,800XP for approaching Arhu.
- "Swornbreaker" weapon, located on the statue near where Arhu is imprisoned.
- 107,800XP per Black Ring member, for a total of 431,200XP for all 4 Black Ring members.
- 299,700XP for killing Lord Kemm, completing the quest.
- 19,400XP upon quest completion.
- If Arhu is alive, you will be rewarded with a choice of Divine-quality loot once you finish talking to him.