Trompdoy is an NPC in Divinity: Original Sin 2.
- Trompdoy will first greet you with insults after his sudden appearance within the Dark Cavern. Giving you the option to ignore or slay him. However, regardless of what you choose to do with him during your first meeting he will appear later within the dungeon revealing that he is a powerful illusionist.
- Trompdoy had been cursed by Braccus to be an eternal guardian for one of his many secret treasure troves.
- Trompdoy's XBOX gamer tag is "Trom-Bonemy"
- Trompdoy first appears in Braccus Rex's hidden Dark Cavern.
Notes and Tips
- For maximum exp gain it is advised to keep the original Trompdoy alive and kill all the clones first, each kill rewards you with 1200 exp. Subsequent clone summons do not give exp. If you engage the fight head on the original is in the top right or south-east corner, equipped with a staff and will cast Chamelon Cloak right away.
- During the fight along the bridge with multiple Trompdoy within the Dark Cavern, Trompdoy will continue to summon additional Trompdoy so long as the original Trompdoy remains undefeated. As such you need only kill the original Trompdoy (the version with a staff that spawns to the right of you along across the gap in the bridge) to end the encounter. Doing so will instantly kill any remaining Trompdoy.
- Trompdoy's curse is immune to cure through Bless. However you will be given the option of 'curing' him later if the correct dialog options are chosen. Although he can not be cured through Bless, should you choose to equip his cursed item casting bless upon yourself will remove the curse.
- "Trompe l'oeil" is French for "trick of the eye." Trompdoy is an illusionist.
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
For absolute experience hoarders: In the treasury room when Trompdoy last appears near his soul jar you have 1 second after the dialogue to oneshot him and to get additional 2400 xp. You can destroy his jar later for the usual quest XP.
It can be tricky, but definitely can be done even solo under deathwish and every possible damage buff you can get for your character (enrage/stat potions/good gear).
can you keep fighting unlimited trompdoy's and gain xp or is there a limit to when they finally stop coming out?
why is it crashing all the time and giving me the spinning wheel of death so often during the fights with him.... it is so annoying, and makes it so that it takes like 3 hours to complete(including raging)
Im french and honestly i never would have guessed his name is a reference to anything
The best NPC, no contest.
Female Lizards should get a unique dialogue option here when he asks to see your tits considering they don't have any.
As a french player (and for a bit of trivia here), I see what developers did with Trompdoy's name but guess they got it a bit wrong. French word is "Trompe-l'œil" and not "d'oeil", an art technique about optical illusion, which makes perfect sense with this illusionist character. Pretty cool winky reference.
This is such an odd character and story point. I get that he was cursed to guard this vault, but he was free to move around, so surely he could have just broken his own soul jar. Or rather than guard the place, just tell the first person who came in- "hey, there's a ton of treasure in the next room, I'll let you in if you promise to break this jar!" He tells you as much himself.
Show me your tits
He had deceived me, so I did it him, too. first, I refused to help him for releasing his soul so He dropped tears, kept saying "I'm sorry.." and gone like a sissy. then I broke the Jar. It was worth it. lol
KILLING ONE DOES NOT DEFEAT THE OTHERS
So it turns out you can sneak past this fight, just go into sneak mode and head to the treasure room and it'll pretend like you won the fight. Not sure if I reccomend it tho, cus I don't think you'll get the xp from killing the lot of them if you do this, not a hard fight once you learn the trick
P E C K E R
Since removing the ring won't remove the curse, you should only equip it if you have enough source to cast bless.
While cursed you have lowered resistances, accuracy and dodge.
The trompdoy you need to kill is not the one in front of you on the bridge, it's the one on the platform to the right with the staff. that one often starts by going invisible. a way to prevent that is to teleport one of your party on the that platform before the fight starts. then that trompdoy will not go invisible, instead he will teleport into the main platform, where you can burst him down.
Bless does not remove the curse from Trompdoy's cursed item. It only allows the player to remove the curse he/she has been afflicted with by equipping the item and automatically unequips said cursed item. Consecutive equips re-apply the curse.
is it possible to acquire bless and do it on him? if so i wonder what happens if you do (he is cursed the last time you fight him)