Villain Tag Mechanics
To get the villain tag, you must do three actions that qualify for the villain tag. These actions are very specific, and few options qualify. While the game offers a lot of evil dialogue options, only a select few qualify for the tag.
(From a coding perspective, the game checks the number of times the player has received the "GLO_SetTag_Villain" flag)
- Commit three murders (only counts once. Animals don't count. Larian's code comments say "yes, we're cruel like that")
- Note that they must be kills that are considered murders by the game's crime system. The crime system is pretty complicated and has a ton of rules for when it does or does not consider something a murder. Often killing the same NPC on different playthroughs will count as a murder on one, but not on another due to different circumstances.
- Absorb spirits with Source Vampirism three times (target must be tagged as a ghost, and not tagged as a construct)
- This is far less picky than the murder condition. There are incredibly few exceptions. Both in and out of dialogue uses are counted.
- The tagging conditions mean that Shriekers do not count
- Convince Unnis to give you all of her gold by lying to her
- Side with the brutes in the shakedown against Elodi
- Rat out stingtail to Griff
- Enslave the Lady Vengeance
- Set off the Doomsday Device in Arx
The following actions have been confirmed to not grant credit towards the villain tag through investigation of the game's scripting code.
- Leaving your future companions in the ship's hold in the Prologue
- Helping Lohse kill Saheila
- Breaking Gratiana's Soul Jar
- Anything involving the Ice Dragon
- Urging Gareth to kill Magister Jonathan
- Kill Hannag's apprentice and his family
- Betray Ryker
- Hurting the frightened Dwarf near the Blackpits
Getting the tag
The primary hurdle towards getting the villain tag is the requirement of at least one story event that qualifies. Luckily Fort Joy has three options for story events early on. Doing all three, or two out of the three and a few murders, will allow the player to get the tag very early in the game.