Multiplayer is available in Divinity: Original Sin 2 in both online and offline versions. Players may enjoy split-screen "couch co-op" or join online sessions from other players, or any combination therein.
Please note there's no cross-platform multiplayer: Those playing on PC cannot play with PS4 or Xbox One Players, and PS4 and Xbox One cannot cross-play across platforms either.
Offline Multiplayer in DOS:2
- Local co-op (Couch co-op) is capped at 2 players.
- In order to play split-screen, players will need to have two controllers, as you cannot play with keyboard/mouse for one person and controller for another person.
- Launch the game on the host account, and have the secondary controller press start to begin playing.
- The host account makes progress, and the second account plays a Custom character (not a companion) but does not make progress on their own campaign.
- Cooperative play has competitive elements, such as distribution of gold and loot not being automatic, and disagreements on quest progression triggering an in-game dispute.
Online Multiplayer in DOS:2
- Local co-op (couch co-op) is capped at 2 players. So 2 players can share the same screen, and a further 2 players can join them via Online.
- In order to play online, players will have to create or join a lobby hosted by another player (or player group)
- As with split-screen, progress is made in the host campaign and not in the local campaign of the character.
- To join another player's party, simply have someone host the game and find their unique Lobby Name on the Multiplayer screen.
- As with keyboard/mouse players, split screen co-op players may also host and join online multiplayer games. (you can play split screen and join online multiplayer)