"Oh, don't stare. How would you look after aeons in some ghastly crypt? But your people are rather prone to death. Mine are not. And yet when I emerged from my completely unjustified imprisonment, I found them gone, our culture forgotten, any trace of the world I knew all but obliterated. I must even hide my true face beneath an ever-shifting mask for fear you savages will attack me! That is how I wander this strange world, trying to uncover the truth about a history you primitive people never even knew existed."
- "You woke up and your world was gone. The last of your kind, you hide behind a charmed mask, searching for the truth about a history that no one knew existed."
- If you are interested in the lore of the game and its history, it is highly recommended to include Fane in your party. The other Origins characters have had or may have noteworthy effects on their respective races, but Fane's actions in his ancient past (which he has initially forgotten) literally reshaped the entire world itself and every race now currently in it, and you will only discover how with him in your party and explore diligently.
- If not selected as an Origin, Fane is located in the Hidden Alcove just north of Fort Joy.
- Can also be recruited on the Lady Vengeance, after fighting Alexander. Fane is in the middle zone of the ship in the sleeping quarters.
- If Fane is not in your party before fighting Dallis on Lady Vengeance, he will die and can no longer be recruited.
- Regular healing spells hurt Fane for he is an undead. Poison heals him. You can pick up and carry a Barrel of Ooze with you. It can be used an unlimited number of times in Crafting when combined with an Empty Potion Bottle to create a Poison Potion, giving you an excellent constant source of healing.
- It is beneficial to keep a Poison Wand on Fane. Manually fire it into the ground and have Fane walk into the puddle, and you will have an unlimited source of healing for him, as well as the surface for Elemental Affinity talent if is being utilized on your Fane's build.
- Fane's bony fingers can be used as an unbreakable lockpick. With level one thievery all chests and doors in Fort Joy should be accessible.
First, Fane would like to retrieve his Mask of the Shapeshifter which got stolen by Windego on the ship. Allow Fane to talk to Nebora and ask if she can craft something similar to him. She will refuse in disgust and advise to see a certain Kniles for requests of that kind.
Inside Fort Joy, meet Kniles the Flenser and either give him Atusa's leg (if you have it in your inventory) in exchange for Face Ripper or simply kill him and loot the Face Ripper from his body. Dialog before the battle can give +10 attitude.
Windego, the sourceress who created the chaos on the ship, can be found at the northern beach of the island. After you escape Fort Joy, kill her and loot Fane's Mask of the Shapeshifter.
At the Ancient Temple, Fane will learn from Eternal Aetera what really happened to their race.
On Nameless Isle, Fane will recognize the structures belongs to Eternals. Later, he must decide who whether to serve God King or not (if you sided with black rings, Thinning the Herd), and who will be the next divine. (when you reached the Academy)
At Arx, a former colleague of Fane's accosted him in hexapod Voidwoken form. She suggested he take the power of Divinity and use it to restore the Eternals. She said he could seal the God King on the other side of the Veil, saving the Eternals from the Void.
In the Crypt of Lucian, persuade Fane to support your claim to divinity, or support him to be next divine. (or kill him if he refused to support you.)