This quest is automatically acquired when the game starts.
- Find a way to escape Fort Joy.
- There are multiple ways to escape Fort Joy:
- The straight forward way is kill the 4 magisters at the gate, pick up the key, make your way inside the fort, then you can fight your way out. If you choose to go north once inside the gates, you can meet a paladin near the port who is also fighting magisters. You will find yourself at the beach, on the other side of the coast.
- Or, let yourself caught by removing your collar and seen by a magister (The Arena of Fort Joy), or through the ancient tunnel (learn the location by completing The Imprisoned Elf), through quest Withermoore's Soul Jar (not needed to find the tunnel) to get into the prison.
- You can also use the Teleportation Glove acquired from the quest The Teleporter to teleport one of your party members to the second level of Fort Joy.(South to the gate guarded by 4 magisters) Put the ladder down and sneak into the fort. You can then make your way to a lower floor to the prison. There you can find an enemy called Kniles the Flenser. Kill him and use the key on his body to open the gate to the sewer. You can escape Fort Joy through this sewer.
- You can also teleport down next to where you first found Fane. There on the beach (underneath the treasure chest which you can teleport to yourself) is an entrance into the Dungeon level of Fort Joy.
- If you're having trouble with Kniles, and you are inside the prison, you can climb up the stairs that take you to the ground floor of the fort. Note: in the large adjacent room, there are Magister Orivald and 3 magisters performing a ritual on a sourcerer. You can sneak along the side of the upper floor and reach the broken wall in the back, from where you can climb a ladder down to freedom. You can also fight the magisters but they may prove a challenge.
- At Flenser's Playgroud, you can also find two magisters threatening a kid, defeat them so you can escape from a boat. You can either fight them or persuade them.
- At the Flenser's Playground, You may give Atusa's Leg to Kniles if you have it on your person when speaking to him. He will ignore you after that, avoiding the battle. The way forward through the pipe is open afterwords.
- Talk to everyone. In most cases it's the only way to move the story forward.
- There is a letter in Dallis' room, which is behind the locked door near the ladder in Fort Joy Ghetto that you must kick down (you need the Gloves of Teleportation to get to it), that will tell you about the Seekers are a group helping people escape Fort Joy.