A Trial for All Seasons is a Quest in Divinity: Original Sin II. Coming across a brazier, you are allowed engage in a trial for elves. Will you succeed?
- The Tongue of Flame
- Talk to The Tongue of Flame and ask to try the trial.
- Complete the trial.
- Defeat the Challengers.
An elven structure of sorts can be found east to the Driftwood-field Waypoint, across the river. There will be four statues surrounding a brazier in the location. (co-ordinates X; 445, Y:340)
To pass the trial, you will need to generate specific surfaces or clouds near the four statues.
- Hero of Winter - Create an Ice Surface.
- Generate an Ice Surface directly using abilities (Hail Strike, Freezing Arrow, Ice Fan).
- Generate an Ice Surface by combining a Water Surface (Rain, Water Balloon, Water Arrow) and an ability that freezes Water Surfaces into Ice Surfaces (Global Cooling or Winter Blast).
- Hero of Autumn - Create an Electrified Steam Cloud.
- Generate an Electrified Steam Cloud directly using abilities (Closed Circuit, Static Cloud Arrow).
- Generate an Electrified Steam Cloud by first combining a Water Surface (Rain, Water Balloon, Water Arrow) and Fire Surface (Fire Arrow, Searing Daggers, Phoenix Dive) to generate a Steam Cloud. Then shock the Steam Cloud with an ability that sets Shocked status (Shocking Touch, Electric Discharge, Shocking Arrow).
- Hero of Summer - Create a Fire Cloud.
- Generate a Fire Cloud directly using abilities (Laser Ray, Fire Slug).
- Generate a Fire Cloud by converting a Fire Surface (Fire Arrow, Searing Daggers, Phoenix Dive) into a Cloud using the Aerotheurge spell Vaporize.
- Hero of Spring - Create a Blood Surface.
- Generate a Blood Surface directly by using abilities (Raining Blood, Flesh Sacrifice), or using a bloated corpse's ability in front of the totem.
- Create a regular Blood Surface by dealing Vitality damage using physical damage to any non-Undead chracter (physical basic attack against target with no armor, piercing attack, Flesh Sacrifice, Teleport nearby Squirrel)
Be prepared; as soon as you light up the final totem, four challengers will appear and initiate combat with you. Each challenger (Winter, Summer, Autumn, Spring) have an immunity to their corresponding element, and are rather strong if you are the same level as them. They are level 14. Defeat them all and the brazier will speak to you, congratulating you on your victory and spawning a chest, along with a phoenix heart for the taking. The quest is complete at this point.
- 20775XP for each challenger killed, for a total of 83,100XP.
- 51900XP on quest completion.
- A Phoenix Heart (which grants the skill "Flaming Tongues" if eaten by an elf) and a Chest will also be spawned on quest completion.
- Spell, Summon Fire Slug (Sourcerer's Ring) can also be used to activate the statue of Summer since it has the spell Laser Ray.
- Creating a pool of blood to activate the statue of Spring is also a possibility. You can do this by stabbing a companion near the statue.
- You need 1 point in Polymorph and 1 point in Aerotheurge to use Vaporize.
- A blood surface for Spring can be generated if you have an elf character eat body parts in close proximity to the statue, preventing the need to stab yourself or your friends.